As I had promised last week, I will be sharing some DIY face masks today, YAAY!!!
I love DIY home-made packs/masks – because they are all natural and they work the best. Thanks to my Grandma and Mom, I have always enjoyed doing homemade masks as a teenager – for example: using cucumbers/tomato juice or yogurt on my face, eggs on my hair, or weekly Gingelly oil baths (Full body – which I do even now).May be that’s why I am passionate towards writing about skin care, and encouraging everyone to continue doing the regimens knowing how good their results are.
Having said that, before I start with my face mask recipes, I will describe my skin type.
- My Skin Type: combination of both dry and oily type.
- I have had days when I have a clearer skin and days with blemishes.
- Acne-prone – Reasons: Hormonal, I also use a lot of makeup products and I travel every week (so stress affects my skin to an extent too).
Summary: My skin basically revolts a lot time to time!!
Things I do : I make sure I go for my regular monthly facials/face clean-up visits to take care of it (when you are 30+ you will know why this is important :)). I am also a huge DIY fan, so I figured there is no better time than now to experiment. I keep trying a lot of face masks – some work for me, some don’t!
Be good to your skin. You’ll wear it every day for the rest of your life.
So below , I will just talk about some of the ones that truly worked. Though there are many more to my list of DIY’s, these are the personal favorites.
- Rice flour with milk face mask : I read somewhere, rice flour helps in fading the acne marks and it’s a very common skin care ingredient in ASIA. So I decided to use this.Mix Rice flour with milk(a paste like consistency) and apply on the face for 15 mins before rinsing it off. Continuous use of this will definitely help fade away the stubborn acne spots from face.
Benefits: This is working on me slowly (I use it weekly once, but you can use it 2-3 times a week for expedited results).Rice flour also acts as an amazing exfoliator so I scrub it off with water really slow (just so I don’t hurt my skin) while rinsing.
- Cinnamon, nutmeg and honey face mask : There is no mask that has worked as good as this one, FOR ME!!! This is one of the most effective face masks if your skin has pimples, is super congested or has acne spots. This can also be used even if you have a normal skin (but for those of you, I suggest you to use it once a month or bi-monthly in this case).
How to make the mask: Mix equal parts nutmeg and cinnamon powder into a bowl (between 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp). Add 1-2 tbsp of organic honey and mix into a paste. Squeeze ½-1 lemon wedge into the paste and mix it all up together. Apply/Massage to clean skin, chill out for 20-30 minutes and wash it off. I use this once a week. (I sometimes have a tingling sensation when I apply this mask, so I wash off sooner on those days)
Benefits: This mask helps to moisturize, minimize breakouts, clear blemishes, even skin tone, exfoliate, brighten your complexion, & so much more!
- Turmeric and rose-water face mask : This one is my go to face mask when I don’t have the patience or time to make any other face mask. Mix 1-2 tsp of turmeric powder( I use Kasturi Manjal) and 1-2 tsp of rose-water (make a paste like consistency).Apply this paste for 30 minutes and wash off when dried ( You can also mix gram flour to this – its optional)
Benefits: This mask helps to clean up acne, clear up skin, and remove pigmentation. Do this regularly to get desired results.
And as they say, try on a small spot to see if you aren’t sensitive or allergic to any of this, before you try it on your face! Let me know how you like it.